Friday, May 15, 2009

Breakfast Muffins

I am a sucker for muffins. My favorite meatloaf recipe is a Cooking Light recipe that calls for cooking the meatloaf mixture (make from turkey!) in a muffin tin. I long for the day that my bananas turn brown enough to turn into (whole wheat) banana chocolate chip muffins, and I usually keep myself supplied with chocolate chip pumpkin muffins during the colder months.

So when Tim suggested making breakfast muffins, I was a little surprised that he didn't think I would go for it, and he was a little surprised that I didn't deem the idea "gross." And then we decided to make them. Right away!
This turned out to be a great idea on many levels:
1. I don't remember the last time we cooked together, with the exception of boiling pasta noodles.
2. I love to cook with Tim! It's said that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, but I think that statement is truer for me than it is for my sweet, laid-back, "I'll eat anything you make" husband.
3. It was fun to see Tim get as excited about making something yummy as I so often get.
4. I love to cook (and eat!) Cooking-Light style. That is, healthy food that doesn't taste too healthy. Breakfast muffins were right up my ally.
5. We had a lot of fun.
6. And the breakfast muffins were DELICIOUS!

Here's how we made them:
1. We sprayed a muffin tin with cooking spray. This is a surefire way to keep our cat off the counters as she always runs away anytime I use that stuff. Which may have something to do with the time I mistakenly sprayed it in her face.
2. Tim sacrificed the turkey ham he'd been using for his lunches, and we scrunched one piece into each muffin compartment to form a cup.
3. I sprinkled 2% sharp cheddar into the bottom of each cup while Tim scrambled a few eggs.
4. Most of the cups got an egg cracked right into it; but 4 were filled with scrambled egg.
5. A little bit of freshlycracked pepper went on top.
6. The muffins were baked at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

1. I TOTALLY forgot you have a blog.
2. I love that I have a friend who gets excited about making fun food.
3. I love that I have a friend who gets excited about making healthy food.
4. I think I need to try that spray-the-cat-in-the-face-"accidentally" trick on chance the next time he heads for the table or counter...although i haven't seen him up there lately. maybe he's just getting sneakier.
5. i love you! :)
6. how's the half-marathon training coming? (you can save your answer for when we get together- hopefully this weekend!)