Friday, January 8, 2010

Unsavvy Savings

I love this man.

This morning, after some fairly harsh disappointment, he held me and told me he loved me. And my day got brighter.

Over the span of a few days,I've come up with a list of ways to save money on some of my favorite foods. It is surprising how many coupons and free samples can be found after a quick trip to the websites of my favorite brands! But it needs to be said that some of my efforts to save money have resulted in the cost of something else. Something greater.

I pursued a work study position at a local yoga studio several months ago because I thought that my job was going to be eliminated. I have fallen in love with yoga and I did not want to give that up, so in exchange for as many classes as I want to take, I agreed to work 4 hours a week for a minimum of 6 months.

I did not lose my job. Which means that "as many classes as I want to take" turned into "2 classes for my own sanity because that is all I can fit in while teaching full-time, volunteering at church, doing a 4+ hour work study, attempting to keep relationships in tact,and moving and remodeling a new house." It should be said that Tim (and Bill, Mary Ellen, my parents, Ed, Steve, and Matt) ended up doing most of the work at the new house while I fulfilled my obligations. And while yoga leaves me feeling great (and I am just as hooked as ever), my schedule has a)been very full, leaving me feeling overwhelmed much of the time, and b) not often coincided with Tim's schedule.

Part B is the worst part. Tim is my best friend, my partner. And we need time together so we can hash life out together, so we can root each other on, and so we can work as a well-practiced team.

But...
the fury of our home projects is dying down.
I am discontinuing my work study after my 6-month commitment is over.
I have found another free yoga alternative, a less time-consuming one (amazingyoga.net offers free podcasts).
Tim and I spent hours talking everything out last Tuesday.

And I am going to one of my favorite cities with my favorite person this weekend.

1 comment:

sarah diama said...

truly enjoyed this honest post, Sarah! And it is freeing to realize that when we give up or change some of those things we think we 'need' or simply really enjoy - to spend more time doing things not about us (spending with with others for example), we do not miss what was cut out like we thought we might. Moving has done that for JD and I. We were blessed in that our schedules were a blank slate and have had the oppurtunity to really prayfully consider what is important and what was not. Hope you enjoyed your weekend with your dear husband!!! :) muxh love, many prayers,
sarah xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoXOXOX