Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A few words (or several) on food

I decided not to go vegetarian.
Although I did do some research prior to my experiment, I know I did not do enough.

When I go to the doctor, I try to remember to tell whoever may be taking my blood pressure that day that the reading will be low. I get that from my dad.
I have never given blood. I've tried, but even after doing light exercise to raise my too-low-to-give-blood blood pressure, my iron reading was too low. I get that from my mom.

So in the event that I need to have blood work done, my energy is generally wiped from my body. I come this close to passing out every time, and I usually just want to sit still and close my eyes until the uncomfortable feeling passes.

That is how I felt after two weeks of meatless meals.
So back to plain old moderate eating.

I have experimented with different ways of eating, just because I am curious, I like to try new things and I am fascinated with food and nutrition. But I always come back to regular, healthy, no-diet, nothing-restricted eating. Or I try to. Because as I get older, the big piece of cake with extra icing still pleases my taste buds just as much, but it leaves me with a sugar crash and feeling terrible. So I compromise. Because life is too short, beautiful, and fun to waste time saying, "no, no, no," or to spend feeling too horrible to enjoy it.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I definitely think that every body type has a "best" way of eating. Some people get sick when they eat meat, others get sick when they don't. I'm glad you realized it wasn't working for your body.