Friday, August 7, 2009

Shhhh....

I like to have a little time to think.
Peace and quite. Time spent away from the computer, away from tv, away from noise.
Lately, I'm not sure where that went. You know, my quiet.

I found myself feeling uncomfortable without something going on. I was looking for radio shows (that usually talk about nothing I care about) while driving to work, turning on re-runs to listen to while I did dishes and made the bed, reading blog after blog and after blog...(which is a difficult habit to cap because I love to read about what other people have to say!

So last night, I drove to my yoga class in silence (ok, I might have spoken out loud once or twice). I drove home in silence. This morning, I drove to work without turning on the radio or listening to one of Regina Spektor's bizarre and charming songs.

And it felt really, really good. A little uncomfortable at first, like riding a bike when you haven't for years or singing out loud when everything else around you is quiet. But soon it felt natural. Just to sit and let my thoughts wander like they do.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I think I definitely need to do this sometime. I find that I turn on the tv often after work because I need to HEAR adult conversation. I'm a teacher and so I listen to kids all the time and miss the sound of adult voices. But I definitely think that I need to allow silence to relax me.