Thursday, March 27, 2008

Why I Just Might Like Shopping

I went shopping today. Of my own free will.
I subbed today, and after the school day was over, I hopped (and "hopped" is almost literal in this case) in the car at the first available moment and pointed my car in the direction of Park City Mall. I was really excited to go.

I've recently shopped in the junior's department at Boscov's (because we had a gift card to use. I ended up with nothing because what I REALLY wanted was jeans. Every pair of jeans I founded seemed to be tainted with spandex) and with Katie on a consignment shop hunt in honor of her birthday (her birthday was actually in November). Both were really positive experiences.

This is why.
When I go shopping, I pick up everything that appeals to me and is also in my price range. This usually ends up being quite an upper body workout for me until I can unload my findings in the dressing room. I try everything on and only buy those things that I really feel good in. Usually this is only a few things, and sometimes it is nothing.
Somewhere along the way, I have learned that the pair of pants that I love and doesn't fit doesn't reflect whether my body is "ok" or not. There are many times that a pair of pants in one size looks like it is clinging to my thighs for dear life, but the next size up is reminiscent of a slimfast ad. Short legs and full thighs will do that. It could be frustrating, but...
My girls have taught me a lot.
I hear them say things about their bodies that I know are false. That I want them to know are false. But the truth is, I'm not very credible if I'm preaching the fact that all bodies are made differently and they are beautiful if I'm picking apart my own body and berating myself for the fact that I can't fit into the pair of pants I wanted to buy.
I am healthy, and I am strong. I haven't gotten any of the sickness that have been going around, and I can carry heavy things. I am comfortable in my skin.
Now, I don't let the cut of a piece of clothing determine how I feel. I feel good. So I find the clothes that fit my body, that I feel good in, that reflect me, and I wear those.
It's only a few things because my body is unique.
Everybody's body is unique. Did you know that your body is not completely symmetrical? Not even one side of your body is the same as the other. How much does that speak to the fact that we are all individually created by God? Different sets of everything.
Seeing God's creation in everyone, in me, lets me know that he wasn't being mean or thoughtless when he gave me bigger thighs than I might have wanted. I think he was thinking of the fact that I am more of an endurance type of girl, I'm a processor, I take my time. I was born two weeks late after over 24 hours of labor. It's who I am.
So I bought two dresses today that I feel pretty in. I bought a cute and dressy shirt that shows off my arms. I put most of the things that I tried on back.
And I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

No comments: