Friday, November 20, 2009

Apple for the Teacher

Today I found myself in the only shop within walking distance of my office that I thought might sell me an apple. I did end up finding apples there, but it was a granny smith, certainly not my favorite kind.


I took a drink and an apple to the cash register, and while the man behind the counter was ringing me up, he asked if I was Hispanic. I told him no, and he went on to tell me that he thought I was, and that I look "mixed." Another woman working there laughed and assured him that I probably knew if I was or wasn't, and we all laughed about the fact that we're all mixes of something and it might very well be true that a little bit of Hispanic blood runs through my veins.

I left the store smiling. You know, the kind of smile you can't stop yourself from smiling. The kind of smile that feels like sunshine on a spring day or a hug from someone you love who also happens to be wearing a sweatshirt. I know I probably don't look Hispanic at all; no one else has ever told me that. But maybe my students are getting into my skin, maybe they're part of the glow that shows up in recent pictures.

I am in love with my students. While the transition to my job has been difficult, I am glad for it, because my time with my students has resulted in love for the people of Reading. I don't feel intimidated like I would have previously. I don't feel annoyed because of the reputation that comes with the name. I feel like some people living here just need someone to listen. I feel like some people living here have beautiful hearts, and some people just need a hand. I feel like I am in love.

I feel elated that somewhat might even think that I am "one of them."

And I feel like that was one of the best apples I've had in a long time.

2 comments:

sarah diama said...

That's awesome Sarah! I'm glad that your apple was super yummy too. It' great to hear about your students and how you affect them, and they affect you. xoxo

Love said...

yes, you can add me to your blog roll! thanks! i can't read blogs until the babies are all in bed, but look forward to coming back here! =)

(and did you get your shirt?! just making sure because you just said you ordered it....)