Friday, February 19, 2010

Find Out Friday

In case you were wondering...

1. I have absolutely no problem with grass-fed meat or wild-caught fish. However, I have no desire to pay the price that comes with those things. I'd rather spend my money on Ladies' Brunch or cookies for "my kids." Perhaps I will become "that yoga girl who is usually a veggie, but sometimes eats the meats mentioned above"? No matter. I'm not too concerned with labels.

2. I have loved writing ever since I knew how. My dad taught me to write between the ages of 5 and 6. He taught me math with word problems because I loved the written word so much. In first grade, my fabulous teacher, Mrs. George said I should publish (meaning "turn in my story to be printed and then bound with wallpaper-covered cereal boxes.") Usually, everyone got published at once. But not this time. This time, I was special. So between my dad and one of my favorite teachers ever, I was hooked on writing.

3. You can win me over with very good chocolate.

4. You can also win me over by (sincerely!) offering to cook a meal with me.

5. I would really like to be able to do a handstand in the middle of a room (that is, with no support). I'm thinking if I keep practicing yoga, I'll be able to in a couple of years.

6. Hearing myself tell my story to my pal, Cindy, last night, led me to a particular conclusion: I may rather stay home during the day, typing up articles and recipes, and doing yoga during my breaks. I might rather follow up my dream day with lots of produce, a cutting board, yummy smells, and guests for dinner. But where I am right now is part of my story. And it is a good part.

7. In relation to the above fact, I'm fascinated with the following verse lately: "Then Jesus went to work on his disciples. "Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You're not in the driver's seat; I am. Don't run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I'll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What kind of deal is it to get everything you want but lose yourself? What could you ever trade your soul for?" Matthew 16:24-26

No comments: