Saturday, April 5, 2008

Healthy+Cookies= One Happy Sarah

I've been thinking about experimenting with some healthier forms of baking. I love sweets.
Do you hear me?! I LOVE them.
For a good portion of my life, I have been drinking diet coke and sprinkling equal, splenda, or (gasp!) that horrid stuff in the pink packet that just tastes like cancer on....everything.
But if you've read some of my previous posts, you know (or maybe you have an inkling because I didn't really say it) that I'm no longer deathly afraid of getting fat.
And with that, I've been considering using sweetening methods that actually involve calories but are healthier for me. And my husband. And everyone that I serve them to.
So, today, I tried out Healthy Baking Experiment #1: No Bake Cookies (because I've been craving the delicioius combination of oatmeal and chocolate. I'm also a peanut butter fiend.)

Sarah's Healthed-Up No Bake Cookies
1 cup agave nectar
1/2 cup 1% milk (but any kind of milk would work)
1/4 cup Sunsweet Lighter Bake (which is essentially fruit puree)
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
3 cups rolled oats
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a medium saucepan, combine nectar, milk, fruit puree, and cocoa. Bring to a boil, and cook for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in peanut butter, oats, and vanilla. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto wax paper. Let cool until hardened.

I thought they were just a tad too sweet, but I'll have no problem eating more. Tim couldn't tell a difference and thought they tasted "like they are supposed to taste." I'm pretty excited that my first experiment went so well!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh Sarah. Those cookies sound delicious. Anytime that you want to make them when I'm home sounds great, just to let you know.
In case you're wondering - that will be the 17th for the Ross King show at Gravity.

stacespace said...

Hey sarah -- you might want to check out another blog that I go to often. To be honest I havent actually tried cooking any of the items, but I definitely mean to! It's Green Lite Bites. Roni, the author, experiments and comes up with healthy yummy recipes.. I think you might like it!