Thursday, January 21, 2010

I Eat the Bittersweet Chocolate

About four-and-a-half months ago, I applied for a position that I didn't qualify for. I really wanted it, though. My mother used to tell me, "it doesn't hurt to ask," so I found some courage and went for it.

And I got it. A job right up my alley. I landed a work study position at Shri Yoga and Wellness Center. I greeted customers, learned names,kept supplies stocked, cleaned windows and mats, folded laundry, took classes, and met some extraordinary people (and one beautiful woman who is hard to catch wearing a pair of shoes). I was in love.

In the meantime, Tim and I bought our first house and decided to revamp the whole thing. The climate in my classroom continued to change as students came and went. I was still committed to my girls at Calvary. Time was tight. Date nights with Tim dwindled away. Time for dinners at my house or any other house was hard to find. And I didn't have much time to spend with my girls outside of designated allotments.

So I made the decision to end my work study position.
I talked with Pam about this a couple of weeks ago. We had some good conversations, and she said I shouldn't worry about it. Everything would work out.
And you know, she was right. My shifts are already covered. Which is not what I was expecting or even hoping for. Tonight is my last night on duty. And I was told all sorts of sweet things, like I will be missed, I will always be part of this community, and I can always come back (even to take a -shh!- FREE class!), which helps because this whole thing is bittersweet.

Tonight, in true Pam fashion, I completed my last shift without any shoes.

So. Who wants to come over for dinner?

2 comments:

Sonya said...

I do!! I LOVE reading your blogs. They are always encouraging and remind me how much I love and miss YOU!! Not that I have anything to do with it, but I'm proud of you for saying no (hard to do!) to something you enjoyed doing to make time for other important things. :)

sarah diama said...

I'll come for dinner! :) Can I bring the chocolate? xoxoxox