Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Last night, I called my sister.
I got the answering machine, so I pulled out my cutting board and starting chopping onions, garlic, scallions.
Minutes later, she called.
And we talked about life.
And I kept chopping. Red potatoes this time.
Hypothetical situations.
A little olive oil in a pan. Tossed with garlic and onions.
Maybe one day we'll live nearby.
And we'll both be pregnant at the same time.
Ground turkey, a little mustard, and worcestershire sauce.
And after that, she'll continue with her career, and I'll stay at home with my child and hers.
And we would both be perfectly happy with that because that's how we are.
I hung up the phone after almost an hour.
Just in time to put the finishing touches on dinner.
It was delicious.

2 comments:

Jason Mitchell said...

This was a great post!

sarah diama said...

Just Beautiful!
I totally enjoyed this post and just read it again for the third time. It connected to me and how i miss my sister too. and all my "pa sisters" if that makes sense... love ya! xoxo