Thursday, September 24, 2009

My First Day

I completed my first shift at the studio tonight! I really enjoyed myself. So much so that I didn't feel like I was working. I was bustling around, checking to see if laundry needed to be thrown in the dryer, washing mats, checking students in, answering questions in person and on the phone, learning names. Right up my alley.

After thinking over my schedule in the coming weeks, I realize I can't make any more (big) commitments without sacrificing something. When I teach, I want to teach well. When I am with my girls, I want to be fully there. When I am in the studio, I want to be attentive to the details and welcoming to students. When I am on the mat, I want to bring my whole self to my practice. I can't add anything else and still do those things well. Some people can. I can't. I'm a girl who needs some time to herself. I need some free space in my calendar. Some time to just be, with no interest at all in doing.

I don't mean that I can't meet for a movie at Goggleworks, a latte at Starbucks, a lunch at Good Eatz, or a walk (all some of my favorite things.). I don't mean that at all. What is life without relationships?

But when I took a work study position at Shri, I thought that I was going to be laid off. I imagined myself working at the yoga studio, taking lots of yoga classes, becoming a freelance writer, cooking lots of earthy meals, finally learning to sew, meeting for long walks, and generally flitting around like some kind of care free butterfly of a woman. That is truly what I pictured in my head.

But I have not been laid off. I still have a job, and now a work study position. And you know, as much as I liked the idea of Bohemian Sarah, I'm glad for both of them. Teacher by day, Yogi by night. That works for me.

2 comments:

Timothy said...

I'm so proud of you!

sarah diama said...

bummer about still having a job! hahaha... just kidding :) but i hear what you mean about having time on the calender. It's easy being home all the time to fill up my days but have learned early to spend at least 2 days home a week. I'm glad i do, time spent with one's self, family and God is always well worth it. I'm sure it will all balance out. Love that fact you're doing yoga training - awesome!!!