Friday, October 30, 2009

Tricks of the Trade

Recently, I have been focusing on a areas of my life that I would like to refine.

Complaining. I mentioned this briefly in the past. Complaining is really something that can turn into poison if left unchecked. So, to counteract my habit of complaining about everything that bothers me, I've been writing lists (one of my favorite things!) titled, "things I can be grateful for" nearly every day. Notice I don't write "things I AM grateful for." Sometimes I am just feeling too disgruntled to really feel grateful, but most times my outlook has turned around by the time I finish my list.

The Blues. I deal with Seasonal Affective Disorder every year. I haven't been diagnosed, but I do exhibit the symptoms.
:::I don't think this fact crossed my mind the year I got married (I was married in January). The (good and bad) stress that came with the wedding, coupled with the fact that it was winter made for an interesting situation when I put my dress on the day of my wedding. (Ladies! If you are planning on getting married, get a dress that can be adjusted!):::


In order to combat the disorder, and my current dread of winter, I've been making a conscious effort to get in some physical activity in every day. (Late fall and winter is a time when I ordinarily seem to give up all exercise, which probably contributes to my problem.) Even on really busy days. Even on days when I would rather nap. On some days, this means I am walking up and down the 5 flights of stairs at work whenever I have a free moment.

Today, I am going on a six-mile walk at Gring's Mill with my mom. Something that satisfies my need for physical activity and being something I am grateful for.

2 comments:

sarah diama said...

hope you had a great walk! What a great time to visit with your Mom too :)

sarah diama said...

ps - pretty picture!!!